Friday, 29 June 2012

It's broken

It keeps crashing and I have no idea how to fix it and it has started to crash everytime I use it. The only solution was to install the newest patch for the engine . This has lead to the lighting in my level being messed up and so I'll have to re-work due to some changes between the 2 versions. Luckily the lighting was still a W.I.P so it wasn't a huge problem but time consuming non the less. This is a screen shot of the previous level crashing on me and all that it was showing me!!! So annoyed I hate technology sometimes......

Tuesday, 26 June 2012

Moving some more...oh and problems.

Moved some more stuff in. Though I seem to be having a bit of trouble with cryengine. I'm not sure what the problem is so I'm looking through some documentation to try and figure out what or if I have done anything wrong. The problem seems to keep crashing the level when the view port is moved which isn't good. I'll post another update on the problem soon soon.

Meanwhile here is some more progress.

Friday, 22 June 2012

Moving over some of the props

I started moving over some of the props to amke sure they are to scale and look rightin comparison to rest of the environent.

Thursday, 21 June 2012

Making some chunks

I decided to make the main plaza area into 4 seperate main pieces to make it easier to unwrap and  make the most out of my textures. I worked well as I found that the unwrap meant I could easily plan and map each section as I wanted and started make some cohesion between the pieces and made it feel more connected.

Wednesday, 20 June 2012

Building on Crit

Here are some more screenshots of my building process with the plaza.

Friday, 15 June 2012

Industry feedback on the plaza

I managed to get some feedback from an environment artist and the main piece of advice I was to not make the environment too big and I was being to abitious with what I wanted to get done within the time scale and the fact that I was still learning and getting used to the engine. He also explained to me that obviously in games environemts have several people working on pieces at a time so it maybe an idea to try and scale it back. I wanted to make the area enclosed still so I decided to lose the large restaurant area and also found that it made the plaza become more corporate and started to sit right with the way I wanted.

I just reused what I had in the original design I didn't bother with restarting as I already had the a good head start with what I had.

Saturday, 9 June 2012

The Tower: Modelling Unwrap

To get the best resolution for such a big building and to make the level feel more realistic I decided to Unwrapp the building across several material ID's in order to create a multi/sub object material. This would also transfer well in the cryengine as the material editor is very flexible and allows for easy creation of realistic looking concrete, stone and metal all within one material that in theory could be used again across other models if they were to be unwrapped efficiently over the textures. What I found interesting through the project is the way in which the pipelines for engines can be very for one set of work and not in another. I found this with getting the tiling to work with UV's. In UDK it supports a tiling function within the engine across bsp as well as geometry. In cryengine I found that this method actually gave me a lot of control and confidence when going to import objects into the cryengine as I already knew the tiling and textures would work.

Wednesday, 6 June 2012

The Tower: Modelling 4

I lined up the models I had been working on and as I ahd to import them from older max files as the file I was working on became corrupted, luckily I had a back up  for the Tower files and imported them into one file to clean up the final design. I also noticed that some of them had errors obviously from an error that travelled and made the last file unstable so I decided to rebuild what I could in order to keep the files tidy and bug free.