Sunday 15 January 2012

Game Referencing: part 2

I also looked at Bulletstorm and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Bulletstorm may seem like an odd choice to reference due to its mediterranean style and dystopian look. However it was very useful in terms of looking at layouts of shops and plants and also for quirky light fixtures and also the holographic boards that I wanted to create in my level for adverts based around the plaza. It was also a great source of reference for its use of near future but not totally sci-fi look as well and had a nice twist on grunging up the future and keeping a gritty look. Deus Ex is more of choice you might expect with its strong sci-fi look but more importantly the signs of life in the advertising and also strength in the architectural stylings of the buildings. An important aspect for me when creating my environment is going to be giving the player hints to story and let the environment tell them a lot. I want to have the player explore and discover what the environment is abut and whats going on. This is to try and replace annoying A.I that just spoon feed story and leave the player feel like the world is just taking them along for the ride rather than the player being in control of what they want to do and the decisions they want to make. Obviously I won't go as far as this but its an idea I want to translate through my work as many games have started to make a lot of good story choices and interactivity.

Here are some images boards of the 2 games:






No comments:

Post a Comment