Sunday 15 January 2012

Game Referencing

Well I always think it's a good idea to see whats come before in order to see a bench mark set by cureent gen standards and also help get an idea of what might be achieveable and help generate more ideas and help in deciding the art direction I wanted to take. Mass Effect 2 and Brink and both very different games but also had a lot in common with the way the environments seemed to be built. A heavy focus in the art style of most sci-fi games is making everything clean and shiny. Also this opens the games up to allow the artists to make a lot things tialbel and modular. Mass Effect being a great example of this as its clear to see when you look close enouigh careful planning in the modelling stage allow for modular building for not only walls and doors etc, but also using those textures for props and other assets around the scene without very noticeable and obvious tiling as a consequence. Brink is much in the same vain however is very much aatylised game with a careful balanace between cartoon and realism. I read the brink developer diary and to my surprise they had also used zaha hadid's architectural style to help there concept artists create that very unique style of architecture for the ARK. This made me realise I was heading down the right path for my designs and gave me a chance to reflect on hopw they had interpreted this into their work.








No comments:

Post a Comment